Thursday, February 10, 2011

On Snow



I’ve got a few friends from up north who like to blog. In light of all the snow that’s been dumped on those poor Yankees this winter, they’ve all felt compelled to write a blog about snow. I’ve enjoyed their blogs. They comment on how pretty it all is. They write of childhood experiences in the snow, of warm memories of sledding and skating and building snowmen with their family and friends. They quote Bible verses, they write philosophically of how God may just use this snow to slow us down a bit and remind us that we’re not in control, and that if it does that, the snow can be spiritually liberating. They all acknowledge that the white stuff gets tiring for sure, but the larger lessons to be learned from the inconvenience of snow are worth the trouble that comes with it. Noble stuff.

I guess I could write a similar blog on snow. Like my Yankee friends, I have lots of great childhood memories of snow as well. But the sledding and snow football days of childhood have been replaced by shoveling and by taking my life in my hands driving on treacherous roads that wouldn’t recognize a snow plow if they saw one. Maybe I’ll quote a Bible verse here: “When I was a child I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man I put away childish things” (1 Cor. 13:11). So, all that said, here’s my blog on snow:

I hate it. I’m sick of it. I want it to go away. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment